A report from Graham Clarke covering the last couple of weekends at Barrow Hill:
It’s been a couple of very hectic weeks and I’ve not had chance to provide an update on progress at Barrow Hill. It’s been all the hands we have on 55019. Unfortunately, there just ended up being too much to do and we ran out of time, so we had to cancel the Spa Valley Visit. I’m sorry we had to let them down.
The loco now has the roof back on with the sealed exhaust outlet modification. It’s a collar welded to the outlet under the roof and bolted to the roof. The original design is terrible and never seals letting oil into the engine room; yuk.
The exhaust system now needs connecting up, which is going to take some shuffling of the silencers and taking the connecting bellows off to compress them so they will go between the collector drum outlet and the silencer.
Both engines have had serviced fuel injectors fitted and the air filters changed.
Stuart, Adrian, Beth, Nigel, Geoff, Steve, Bob and Mike have worked really hard on this. Thanks very much.
The axles have been crack tested and passed again. A huge thanks to Mike and Nat for this.
Pete (thanks) and I have completed the servicing and checking of all the electrical machinery and switchgear on 55019. I’ve also redone the temporary repair I did on the no.2 traction motor blower. The terminal board has some burn damage, the cable terminals were in a poor state and I was unhappy with the soldering of the feed to the field coils. All these have been attended to with a repaired terminal board and crimp connections apart from the field connection itself, which is a tapered bush bolted in place and a specially made piece.
Ray and Steve had another major tidy up last Saturday as well. Thank you.
Thanks to all of you once again.