Two more reports from Barrow Hill, courtesy of Graham Clarke:
Saturday 1st November
I’ve been at Barrow Hill with Melvyn and Tom. Cleaning the second voltage regulator has started thanks to Tom. Melvyn painted some air pipes and the box that is under the battery isolating switch (BIS). This will allow me to fit the BIS and the main lighting switch for good and connect them up. I’ve finally found a solvent that will clean off all the old carbonated varnish and crap from the electrical panels and cabling. It’s intended for UPVC windows, but it does the job. You have to use it sparingly though. I’ve also tried out our new calibrated insulation tester, which is great. It’s a proper Fluke one.
Saturday 8th November
Yesterday at Barrow Hill with Steve Smedley, Steve McRae, and Ray; a lot of tidying up was done, we worked out a way to lift complete power units on and off the floor without spending a fortune, most of the remaining crud from under no.2 nose end was cleaned off and I did some more very successful cleaning of the switchgear panels at no.2 end. Under the loco is now almost ready for steam cleaning and painting. All the tidying up is ready for re-arranging our various engines and power units. After trying all manner of cleaning agents, I’m delighted to have found something that removes all the dirty old varnish. It now looks properly clean.