We are extremely sorry, but due to an error, the full article about this year’s raffle does not appear in the current issue of Deltic Deadline. The full article is reproduced below; including important information about what to do to enter the draw and other advice to help it run smoothly. The draw itself is not affected in any way by the error and it will proceed as normal.
If anyone needs anything further, please contact me using the contact details inside the back cover of Deltic Deadline.
Thank you for you understanding and good luck.
The draw will take place after lunch on the 11th of January 2013 at the Depot.
Our Society has had a busy and successful year, but we cannot rest on our laurels. There will always be something new to challenge us and stretch us to achieve more than we have done before. Alycidon needs keeping mainline certified, RHF needs keeping in good order for use on preserved lines (where it’s more accessible to members) and Tulyar needs completing.
To illustrate what I am describing, I’ll give some examples:
- Alycidon needs some spare NRN radios, because GSM-R has not replaced NRN as envisaged and the old system is still needed ~ £500-£1,000;
- Annual certification cost for mainline use ~ >£2,500;
- Oil and Fuel filters ~ £400 per power unit;
- Speedometer calibration ~ £400;
- Overhaul of Tulyar’s new bogies ~ could be £50,000;
- Generator and heavy service ~ £5,000 (2 needed for Tulyar);
- Overhauled governor, fuel pumps and fuel injectors ~ >£6,000 per power unit, depending on condition and how quickly you want them;
- And the list continues.
I suspect some will say we’ve got the begging bowl out again and roll their eyes. I view it more that this Society would not exist and we would not be able to enjoy Deltics in the 21st Century without the generosity of our members and our many friends going right back to the park in Northhampton, where our three founder members decided it was possible to save a Deltic for the future and keep it running. Hence, we keep asking for your support and I run this raffle every year.
We are now getting to a point in our engineering lifecycle, where we have to carry out some serious engineering on bogies and power units to allow us to move forward. Therefore, fundraising is going to become even more critical than ever before. We will have to invest in new facilities and contract to get some of the big jobs done that are beyond what we can do ourselves. Also, if you know anyone who can help us with lifting equipment at the right price for our power units, please contact me. There will be more information on this in the run up to next year’s AGM in York. The strategy is being actively worked on at the moment.
So, please could I ask everyone to really try to sell as many tickets as possible this year? If you can’t sell some tickets, then please could you think about doing some other form of fundraising? Every little helps and everybody’s support is really appreciated.
Now some polite requests:
- Due to legislation, tickets may only be bought and sold by persons who are at least 16 years old. We will endeavour not to send tickets to members under 16. However, if you are under 16 and receive any tickets, please pass them to an adult;
- Please only send tickets to me: Graham Clarke, DPS, c/o 12 Baskin Lane, Beeston, NOTTINGHAM. NG9 5GA. Tickets sent to other DPS Officers often miss the draw and cause unnecessary work and expense;
- Please make cheques payable to the Deltic Preservation Society and not me personally. I cannot cash incorrectly made out cheques and tickets cannot be accepted without a valid cheque;
- Please return your tickets, if you do not want them;
- Please fully complete all of the counterfoils. I cannot pay prizes to people, if I don’t know who they are!
- Please make sure that you have enclosed payment for the tickets. People do regularly forget to send a cheque with their tickets.
Where you have asked us not to, we endeavour not to send raffle tickets to you. I apologise in advance, to those of you who object to receiving tickets. If you feel that you should not have received them, please throw them away. Thank you to the Editor and the team for packing the tickets with your copy of Deadline. The raffle would not happen without their hard work.
Good luck and compliments of the season to you all!